History

The Association was formed in 1950 by United Steel Companies Limited and its local subsidiary Distington Engineering Company Limited exclusively to house key workers moving to Workington for employment in new iron foundry and engineering works at Chapel Bank.

Between 1952 and 1955, the Association built an estate of 134 family houses adjoining the United Steel Companies' own development of 54 semi-detached dwellings.  In its first 25 years, 415 key workers and their families were housed, of whom 285 came from other parts of the United Kingdom.

The original Board was formed from senior staff at Distington Engineering, which provided management services until 31st March 1981 when its successor, British Steel Corporation, disengaged from housing involvement.  From the outset there was trade union representation on the Board later extended to include, and eventually be replaced by, tenants.

British Steel Corporation's withdrawal from the direct provision of housing occurred eighteen months after the Association had embarked on major modernisation of the estate.  To maintain the programme, the Board established the Association as an independent body registered with the Housing Corporation.

During 1985 the Association responded to the need for specially designed dwellings for pensioners and disabled people and three bungalows and 16 flats were built at Ashmore Gardens.  In December 1992 the Association completed the construction of 22 flats for the elderly at Westfield Bridge Court, including two flats for disabled people.

After a very successful ballot with tenants of Allerdale Council, the end of 1993 saw the stock transfer of 223 houses from the Council and, in 1994, the Association completed 26 new houses, flats and bungalows at St. Mary's Court.  The year 1996 saw the completion of the Casson Road development; built in two phases, the scheme provides 32 flats and bungalows for the elderly.

Since 1998, the Association has purchased around 200 flats and houses in Allerdale, including properties in Cockermouth and surrounding rural areas.